This is what it looks like before it goes in the oven.
• 10 oz / 300 g sifted unbleached plain flour
• 1 Tbsp baking powder
• ¼ tsp salt
• 4 large eggs – at room temperature
• 12 oz/350 g granulated sugar
• 8.5 fl oz/250 ml whole milk – at room temperature
• 4 fl oz/125 ml vegetable oil
• 4 oz/113 g unsalted butter – melted but cool
• 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
• 3 Tbsp natural unsweetened cocoa powder
Position rack in middle of oven and preheat to 180 C. for 50- 60 minutes
Grease a 9”/23 cm round by 1.5”/4 cm deep non-stick cake pan or spring form pan and line with parchment paper cut to size.
In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine eggs and sugar and beat (with electric beater) on high until foamy, light creamy colour (2 minutes).
Add oil, butter, milk, vanilla, and continue beating until well combined.
Split this mixture into two bowls half in each.
Divide the flour into two equal halves and then take out one and a half tablespoons out of one and into the other. Add the 3 tablespoons of cocoa into the smaller one. They are now the same… Complicated I know but worth it to get the same consistency and quantity of the two colours.
Gently fold the flour and the flour and cocoa into the two bowls.
- Add a couple of Tablespoonfuls at a time into the middle of the pan and repeat alternating the colours.
- This goes into the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes.
The finished product.